The H.V. Cowie Company Limited was founded by 45 year old Hedley Vicars Cowie on March 6, 1922. The company specialized in manufacturing and importing menswear (dress pants, blazers, dressing gowns, smoking jackets, neckwear, scarves…) Initially located at 22 Front Street in Toronto, the company later moved to 43 Sheppard Avenue East.
One of H. V. Cowie’s more popular imports were Dunlop Slacks, made in England, and sold with the promise they were “Anatomically correct in the comfort zone”.
On June 13, 1945, a Canadian trademark was registered by H. V. Cowie for ‘Bonnington’ (Bonnington House, Lansing, Toronto). The Bonnington trademark was abandoned in 1990. Another trademark for ‘San Remo’ was registered June 10, 1966 but not renewed in 1981.
After Hedley Cowie’s death in 1965, the company went into decline. The Sheppard Avenue sewing plant was sold off in 1967, although the company remained in existence (perhaps just as an importer?) until dissolution on 1 July, 2008.