Queen Maxima of the Netherlands was in Germany two days ago wearing this grey coat. Many noticed that some of the star designs on her coat resembled swastikas, which lead to criticism of the Queen. What I find surprising about this whole brouhaha is that:
- The crosses are largely made up from cheap hardware hooks and screws
- Judging by the picture that shows the edge of the coat sleeve, the coat is badly finished or shows considerable wear
- That a Dutch queen would wear something by a Danish designer (Claes Iversen) rather than something by one of the many talented Dutch designers
- That there are enough people in Germany to create a stink over an obviously unintentional oversight
- That there was an oversight – Come on! someone didn’t notice the resemblance?
- That people still confuse the Nazi swastika with the Buddhist symbol of rebirth/eternity