Fashion Hall of Obscurity – Catherine Parel

Catherine Parel, 1945

Russian born Yekaterina Bobrikova (Catherine Bobrikov) worked in the Jeanne Lanvin fashion house from 1927 to 1934. She set up her own fashion house under then name Catherine Parel at 11 Rue Boissy d’Anglas in 1936. She released two small collections per year for her clients which included well known Parisian actresses and singers at the time, including Michèle Morgan and Lys Gauty. Features of her collections included sheer backs in 1937 (see illustration at bottom right), and straw trimmings in 1938.

Catherine Parel also created costumes for French cinema, most famously for 1946’s La Symphonie Pastorale, which received an award at the Cannes Film Festival. Catherine Parel closed in 1948.

For more information about Catherine Parel and other Russian couturiers of the 1930s, click here.

About Jonathan

Jonathan Walford is a fashion historian and co-founder of the Fashion History Museum in Cambridge, Ontario. The FHM maintains a collection of nearly 12,000 artifacts dating from the mid 17th century to the present. Jonathan has authored various books and museum catalogues, including The Seductive Shoe, Shoes A-Z, Forties Fashion, 1950s American Fashion, and Sixties Fashion.

This entry was posted in Obscurier Couturiers. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *