Canadian Fashion Connection – Smallman & Ingram

Brown wool suit, c. 1920-21, and hat, c. 1918 – 1921: Smallman & Ingram, London, Ontario

On September 8, 1877, John Smallman and Lemuel Ingram opened a dry goods business with six employees at 147 Dundas Street in London, Ontario. Aiming to serve the higher-end market with goods imported from Europe,  Smallman and Ingram found success. Many additions of departments and building expansions were made to their premises between 1892 and 1908.

Smallman and Ingram Catalogue, Fall/winter 1920-21

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Robert Simpson Company of Toronto purchased Smallman & Ingram, Ltd. in December 1944, and the store was changed to Simpson’s on July 3, 1945.

About Jonathan

Jonathan Walford is a fashion historian and co-founder of the Fashion History Museum in Cambridge, Ontario. The FHM maintains a collection of nearly 12,000 artifacts dating from the mid 17th century to the present. Jonathan has authored various books and museum catalogues, including The Seductive Shoe, Shoes A-Z, Forties Fashion, 1950s American Fashion, and Sixties Fashion.

This entry was posted in Canadian dress. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *